Sunday, January 9, 2011

I Can't Be Your "Superman".

As much as I hate to say it... as bad as it sounds... as insensitive as it may seem... I've just come to terms with the fact that I can't be your superhero. I can't save you from the evils of your life and the immense hurt in your recent past..because I am hurting myself. I need healing myself. I need to be "saved" myself. And what you ask of me...I don't know how to give.

People say that in platonic as well as romantic relationships, one is supposed to be there for the other. For this reason I had trouble accepting that I couldn't help you. But the reality is that I'm broken as well. And, no. Two broken people do not come together to make a whole. I look at like being complimentary, not supplementary. Even in my hurt state I indeed could be there...but some problems are too big for me to handle.

I feel that certain pain we must deal with ourselves. Some things other people really can't truly help us with. I could try to comfort and console, but I just can't make it go away.

So I have to say this.

I mean no slight to your struggle or feelings of pain, but you must now put away your "bat signal". Don't call on me to come to your rescue right now...because I will show up willing to do all I can...but I would appear before you as a mere mortal. Just a few elements short of superhuman, and perfectly imperfect. It's true. I'm not superman, I can't rescue you...but perhaps we can both be what we need to ourselves and save ourselves...

No comments:

Post a Comment